Friday, January 16, 2009

New Swim Milestone!

To this point, my longest swim has been 2800m. I was supposed to have a 3000 swim a couple weeks ago, but I missed it due to illness. Yesterday, it was time to blow that out of the water, and go straight to 2 miles! (3250m, to be exact)

After a mixed warmup of drills and kicks, it was time for the main set. To start off, I had 4x400, and for a kicker, I had to swim one length of each 100 with my head out of the water! For those who haven't tried it, it's like slamming on your brakes. By the end of the set, my core was too tired to hold both my head and legs up, so I was dragging my feet pretty badly. I wasn't quite able to hit my goal times for these, but I was only a few seconds off.

Next came a 3x200, picking up the pace a little more. And then was the final 4x100, all out, suffer-and-like-it sprint. The goal here was to go at the pace of my last swim test, 1:45/100m.

And not to pat myself on the back too hard, but I knocked it out of the park.

1:37
1:41
1:40
1:36 (!)

My arms were absolutely toast and I was gasping for air at the end, but I was thrilled when I finally saw my times. Plus, I think I had plenty of juice left that I could have finished off the last 0.4 mile (slower) without a problem.

I'm having some issues with my right shoulder, so now the challenge will be to keep it healthy as I go forward. Lots of ice and PT exercises! I do think the core and strength work I'm doing is paying off big time in the pool. And next time my swim test comes up, I'd love to try and crack 1:40/100!

4 comments:

Marit C-L said...

Great job! Go after those numbers - you can do it!!! Good luck with the shoulder... mine was bothering me recently - because of using HUGE paddles while pulling. :) I have since tossed the paddles and it feels a lot better... Swimming with your head OUT of the water is not easy - way to go with that! That could have aggravated it... Didn't realize you were doing IM CDA! We'll have to meet!

TRI TO BE FUNNY said...

Wow!! Can you feel the jealousy I'm projecting?! That is awesome!!

Dave said...

Marit - That would be great, we enjoy meeting up with new people at races! We actually met your new friend Mer (Of the *warm* weather Dave and Meredith) in Boston before the marathon last year, and had a fun time with them.

Carrie - My offer of trading swim speed for run speed stands. :)

Formulaic said...

Awesome job on the swim. I definitely think 1:40/100 for you.

Easily.