Saturday, January 10, 2009

Don't Call It A Comeback

The cold is finally on it's way out! As of yesterday, training is back underway at long last.

Meredith and I braved the elements after work for a run in the snow and ice. We were supposed to get up into zone 2, but we pretty much had to run at the pace the ice would allow. Still, it felt great to get outdoors and get the blood pumping a little.

Today, it was back to the pool, and it was an adventure! I had 400 of a mixed warmup, which went fine. Then, I forgot how to swim. I don't know what happened, but all of a sudden, everything was a struggle.

I fought through the next 1000, and decided to call it a day. 1100 meters short of my target.

But I just couldn't do it. I took a deep breath, gathered myself for a couple minutes, and then set off for my main 1000. The goal was a steady swim at race pace. Since this will be my first Ironman, I don't have a firm grasp of what that is. But it's got to be somewhere between easy and hard, right? Checking my watch every 100, I crawled my way up and down the pool, and somehow, I remembered how to swim again! My times were consistent, and when I finished, I had done it in 18:46, or 1:52/100m. Not my fastest ever, but not bad for not swimming as hard as I can like in a time trial!

Now it's time to stay healthy for a while, and get back to some consistency. Spring is just around the corner, right? Right?

4 comments:

TRI TO BE FUNNY said...

I'd kill to have such a "bad" swim!!! Way to beat the demon and keep going.

Doris said...

You "slogged" your way to a sub 19min 1000m.... Hummm... I'm jealous... You are a fishy quite obviously!

Dave said...

The 1000 was perfectly good, don't get me wrong! It was the part before that that very few would be jealous of. :)

Andrea said...

I have days like that all the time! I get in the water and the warm up is great and then...I forget how to swim and my stroke falls apart and I stress out about it so bad that I can't get it back and I end up cursing myself out as I drag my wet limp body out of the pool.