Sunday, February 27, 2011

Race Report - Last Chance For Boston 10K

Or, "Where 10K = 8.2 Miles"

I hemmed and hawed about this race right up until Saturday, when the forecast looked like it was solidly going to be okay, and that Meredith was going to be able to cover her share of their relay. But I did decide to sign up and get ready to shoot for another PR. I had only run one 10K before, this same race in 2009.

Because of the in-between weather, I packed almost two complete running outfits. What do you wear at 35 degrees? I had shorts, pants, short sleeves, long sleeves...you name it and I had it. And just before the race, I changed my mind and peeled off a layer. Meredith was running the marathon relay, which, since this is a 1 mile loop course, started together with my 10K at .2 miles before the finish/lap line. We never heard the 5K/half marathon start, and so we were surprised to hear "3 seconds" right as we stepped into the corral. Well, no time like the present! We just had time to get our watches set, and we were off.

My goal pace, based on the FIRST plan, had me averaging a 7:41 pace. For the first loop, it was tough to keep up a good pace, since there were so many people to dodge. I did my best to have quick, light feet and get in a good rhythm. Since I had forgotten my Garmin, I glanced at my watch at each quarter mile to get a reading on where I was.

During mile 2, I fell in next to a guy who was doing the full marathon. His pace was similar to mine, and we got to talking for the next four miles. In retrospect, I wonder if I wasn't pushing myself hard enough if I could somewhat hold a conversation? But I was running pretty hard, and I thought running with someone would help the race seem shorter. The miles clicked off pretty regularly...7:49...7:56...7:56...7:57. I was missing my splits by just a few seconds each time, but it was adding up. Because of my inexperience at this distance, I didn't know how much to push to catch up to my pace.

When we crossed the lap line for my final lap, I told my running buddy that I was going to see if I could push a little harder during the last mile, but I wasn't sure if I had anything in the tank. (Nice positive self talk there, Dave) My quarter mile splits did fall inside my target this time, and I managed to run a 7:29 for the final mile. I crossed the line and received a plaque for my effort. Because this race doesn't give out age group awards, the overall awards go out to 20 places, and I had snuck in at #19! (20th in the official results, it turned out)


I was a little surprised at how much faster the field was this year, as I had run about 4 minutes slower in 2009, and come in 8th male. But obviously, I was in it for my time, not to place, and was really happy with the result.

Mile 1.2: 9:54
Mile 2: 7:49
Mile 3: 7:56
Mile 4: 7:56
Mile 5: 7:57
Mile 6: 7:29

Total: 48:58 (7:54/mile)
Overall: 22/109

Men: 20/54


After Meredith finished up her section of the relay, I went to get in some dry clothes and watch the rest of the race. That worked great to warm me up, but unfortunately her Dad started getting blisters, and stopped at 8 miles, leaving their team 5 miles short of the finish. Rather than DNF, Meredith stripped down and started running again, and I offered to run a couple miles. So, it was a quick run back to the car, and a change into that second running outfit I had packed. :) I made it back just in time to stretch a bit and head back out on the course. I forgot to wear my watch, so I just went out at a pace I thought I could hold for a couple miles.

And I ran faster for their race than for my own, gosh darn it. I ran a 7:33 mile and a 7:28 mile. Maybe I did have more in the tank than I knew. Next time, Gadget. Next time.

No comments: