Monday, February 21, 2011

First Chance

Limbo: any status where a person or project is held up, and nothing can be done until another action happens.

And that's where I am for another week. Until the Leadville lottery comes out, I'm unable to really commit one way or another. But that doesn't mean I can't do some planning and research. Meredith (at my request) bought me the "Run Less, Run Faster" book from the Furman Institute (FIRST) for Valentine's Day, and I've been reading through it for the last few weeks.



My first (heh) impression? I should have run slower during that three miler! It's got some pretty lofty goals for my longer distances based on that race. It says I should be able to run a 1:45-ish half marathon, and a 3:42-ish marathon. Yikes! The training plan uses three days a week of running, with other cross-training days thrown in as well. It looks VERY challenging, but also interesting.

This weekend, the ironically named "Last Chance For Boston" (too late!) marathon is in town on Sunday. Two years ago, I ran my first 10K there, and clocked a 53:05, for an 8:32 pace. The book says I should be able to best that. By a lot. (Yikes, again!)

The pros:
  1. Halfway decent shot at a PR.
  2. I just happen to have a 6 mile tempo run in the books for this weekend anyway.
  3. I'm going to be there anyway, since Meredith and her dad are running a relay for the full marathon.
  4. If I get into Leadville, this will be a last running hurrah for a good portion of the year.
The cons:
  1. The weather looks yucky, and I'm a wuss.
So, do I feel like giving it a shot? Will I man up and run even if it's cold and nasty outside? Stay tuned...

No comments: