Saturday, November 29, 2008

Race Report - Flying Feather Four Miler

Thanksgiving morning took us out to Dublin again this year for the Flying Feather Four Miler. Last year, we showed up right about as the race started, and had to fight our way through a huge pack. It wasn't chip timed, so our finish times weren't all that accurate.

This year, the race limited the number of entrants, and also decided to use chip timing. Nice moves both, and I thought it was a better race overall.

The plan this year, as dictated by my coach, was to go out easy, then hit the last three miles hard. After a 10 minute warmup, we got in the corral and awaited the start.

For the first mile, I tried to ease into the race, but didn't do a very good job of it. Even so, I felt pretty good until the end of the second mile, where I started to get a stitch in my side. I had to back off until it went away, and then just hung on until the finish. A girl tried to outsprint me at the end, but I managed to hold her off around the corner.

I think I worked pretty hard at this one, and it was about 6 minutes faster than last year. Taking into account the couple minutes we spent getting to the start line in 2007, I'd guess it was about a 4 minute PR. I think this was also my best placement in any good sized race.

Mile 1: 8:17
Mile 2: 7:56
Mile 3: 8:10
Mile 4: 8:06

Total: 32:49
30/112 Age Group
273/1896 Overall

3 comments:

Formulaic said...

Way to go on the time!

Good race and the new PR shows your improving.

Andrea said...

Hey! Way to go Dave! Those times look fantastic.

Too bad you live so far away. Looks like we have the same run fitness and could train together.

Dave said...

Thanks! You're in KC, right? That is a bit of a drive for a training run. We'll probably be coming through on our trip next year, though. :)