Friday, November 21, 2008

T-Minus 7 Months

Wow, already time for another monthly update. That seemed quick.

Biggest Challenge This Month:

Getting used to two workouts a day! Even in my heaviest marathon training, I've never had to do more than one session a day, and now that's the norm. I'm averaging about 10 per week right now, with a pretty even mix among the three sports.

Biggest Success This Month:

I was pretty happy with the effort I put out in my heart rate tests. It's been interesting getting used to that style of training, and I think it will pay dividends.

With the early onset of winter around here, my biggest success has probably been getting my bike on the trainer for some long rides, and continuing to go out for runs despite the cold. This will be my first winter with any serious training, since all my marathons have been in the fall.

How I Feel About Training:

My body is a little beat up right now, but I'm in the last few hard days before falling back next week, so that's expected. I don't look forward to the trainer or the cold, but to this point, I'm getting them done. My swimming is coming along - there's another test in the near future there, so it'll be interesting to see if I've improved.

How I Feel About The Race:

Glad that it'll be outdoors, and above freezing. :)

I'm pretty sure I could swim 2.4 miles right now, though it might not be pretty.
I know I can train and do 26.2 miles of running.
It's still tough to visualize biking for that distance, though.

What's Next?

I'm signed up for the 4 miler on Thanksgiving. The plan is to build for the first mile, then go hard for the remainder of the race. It's a fairly big race, so it's not like I'll be competing for a place or anything. My only other 4 miler was this same race last year, and I don't have a time from that one. So, I'm not really sure how to gauge my performance other than "somewhere between my 5K and 5 mile pace".

Edit - Hmm. I guess they did have results last year after all! How about that. I ran a 39:05, for a 9:47 pace. That's a little deceptive, though. It wasn't chip timed, we showed up late, and the start line was a huge bottleneck, so it was some time before I hit the start. Still, it's something to go on. I heard a rumor that this year's is chip timed, but now I can't find anything about that.

Two days later, I've got my second swim test, another 10x100 all-out bundle of fun. It's somewhere in the space between anticipation and dread. :)

I'll also be going past 2 hours on the trainer, and getting close to 3, I'd imagine.

7 Months Out Theme Song:

"You've Got To Make It Through The Winter", from Seven Brides For Seven Brothers



If I heard it right, the lyrics go like this:

You've got to make it through the winter
And hope for some racing in the spring.

You've got to make it through the winter
The time will come when cowbells will start to ring

Just be patient till the spring.
(clarinet solo!)
(till the spring)
(till the spring)
(till the spring)

Hurry up, spring. Hurry!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Yeah, I could see how you could confuse "loving" with "racing" and "churchbells" for "cowbells". ;-)

Michelle

Duane said...

CDA is a great venue! You will love it!