Sunday, June 22, 2008

Crazy Laps, Neighborhood Style

8 x (4 min run, 10 min bike, 4 min run)

That doesn't seem so long, right? I completely did the math wrong in my head. Three hours later...

But I'm ahead of myself. I debated where to do this training day, and eventually just settled on putting my bike on the trainer, and transitioning in our foyer. Today, however, was humid. So humid that when I did get on the trainer, my sunglasses fogged up completely (yes, I had my sunglasses on indoors), and my helmet was making me sweat all over the living room. (yes, I had my helmet on indoors)

The point of today was transition practice. And practice it I did. I managed to cut about 30 seconds off from my first transition to my last, and it was changes that can be used on race day. Pretty excited about that.

Since indoors was hot and sweaty, I did the rest of the laps outdoors. Two minutes out one way, hop on the bike for a 3 mile ride around the neighborhood, and then two minutes out the other way on foot. I'm sure the neighbors were wondering what the guy running crazy laps in spandex was up to, but that's their problem. :)

I should also admit that I broke the law. Amidst all the cornering practice and short straightaways of the residential streets, I did see my bike computer hit 25.1 mph at one point. Surprisingly, I'm still a free man.

After I (finally) got done with all those reps, we were off to Meredith's family reunion. Nothing better for a post-race recovery meal than a potluck! And as Meredith will attest, I took full advantage!

4 comments:

TRI TO BE FUNNY said...

Dude--Loved the 37.4 sticker idea! Hell, I still haven't even purchased the 140.6 one. What's so funny is that only a small segment of the population even has a clue what ANY of those numbers mean!

Dave said...

Thanks! Naturally, I do expect a cut of the royalties. :)

:) said...

Did you run in your helmet too? ;)

Dave said...

Nope, I did that change every time, hehe.

I did manage to misplace my shoes once, which tacked on a few seconds. They were hiding behind the open front door about a foot from my bike while I looked all around the house.