Tuesday, February 24, 2009

The Results Are In!

Last night, the results were posted for the indoor tri.

Swim:
24 lengths (600m total)
1:40/100m

5th (tie)/78 overall
3rd (tie)/26 men

I was quite happy with this pace. It happened to be exactly my goal before the race, so here's to knowing what your body is capable on race day!

Bike:
16.4 "miles" (32.8 mph)

3rd/78 overall
3rd/26 men

Yeah, right. :) Going by the place, though, I was surprised and pleased with the result against the field. I don't really consider the bike a strength, but I've had nothing to compare it to since almost all my IM training has been indoors so far.

Run:
1.18 "miles" (16:57/mile)

Umm...

So, I was NOT happy when I saw this result. I had been in 3rd place overall after the swim and bike, and then my official run time beat nobody. Okay, there were two people who didn't do the run; I did beat them. I know this race isn't my target, and it was just to get a good workout, but I felt sort of ripped off that I had worked hard and didn't get the chance to evaluate myself on an even playing field.

I sent off an email to the director asking about it, and he let me know that the "overflow" ellipticals that I was on were supposed to have mileage tacked on to compensate for the difference in difficulty, but the numbers didn't get added in as planned. So, it looks like my actual run will be marked as 2.68 miles, which is probably pretty accurate as to what I could have done. Kudos to the Lifetime Fitness team for being willing to take time to review the results, and for doing as well as they could on race day given the circumstances!

Overall:

Current:
20/78 overall
10/26 men

Don't know exactly where I'll end up once the run is corrected since I wasn't the only one that needed an adjustment, but my guess is somewhere around 6th overall. I really wasn't expecting to do quite that well (I was silently hoping for top 10), so now I'm really excited to get outdoors and see where the training has me for real!

For fun, let's take my paces in this race and see how I'd do in the Ironman if I held them.

Swim: 1:04
Hey, I'd certainly take that!

Bike: 3:24
Hmm...a little over an hour faster than last year's fastest biker in Coeur D'Alene? Yeah, I'd take that too. ;)

Run: 7:24
Hehe! Well, fortunately, the run is last, so thanks to my blazing bike time I'd still make all the cutoffs.

Total: 11:52
An unorthodox way to get under 12 hours to be sure, but if I finished under 12, I wouldn't complain. :)

Maybe I should just trust my training plan instead. Yeah, that might be the way to go.

2 comments:

Formulaic said...

SWEET!

Way to go out there. Nice job (especially on the 30+mph).

If you could keep that pace up, you may be coaching Liz!

;)

Steve Stenzel said...

That sucks about the "run!!" Hopefully they get that changed and you get moved up...

NICE SWIM!!! That's great!!

And yeah, can you imagine going sub-12 in an IM like THAT?!? HAHAHAHA!!