Thursday, February 12, 2009

It's Race Season!

40 minutes of fast run + will be at a race with a 10K anyway = 1st race of 2009!

I convinced coach that I would do my warmup and cooldown as planned around the race, so it's time for the season to kick off with the Last Chance For Boston 10K! Meredith is running the half marathon, so I was going to be there already. Now, I can get in my run and then get to watch her smash her PR! My only instructions are not to go out too hard. I'm 0/1 on that in races so far since I started working with Liz, so I'll try to do better this time around.

Also coming up is my first tri of the season, the Lifetime Fitness Indoor Triathlon. It's a 10 minute swim, 30 minute bike, and 20 minute run. I've never done an indoor tri, so it should be a new and interesting experience. It's silly, but I'm getting nervous thinking about it. From looking at last year's numbers and my current fitness, I should stand a decent chance of being in the top half of the field - I'm not used to that, so I think it's making me even more nervous! :) If I like this one, there's another one at the closer Lifetime in town next month that I'll sign up for too.

Other than the upcoming races, training has been pretty steady so far this month. I've missed a couple workouts here and there, but haven't "fallen off the wagon" or anything. I did set a new 100m PR the other day - 1:27! I'd never tried one with a 6-beat kick; I'm more of a 2-beat kick kind of guy. The extra kicking did get me there faster, but I think it would probably tire me out too much in a longer swim.

We also had a huge windstorm last night! Somehow, we acquired a grill cover. It was wrapped around our air conditioner! Our neighbors had one of their patio chairs blown right through their fence, and we got woken up by a car alarm that the storm set off. Here's hoping I can get through a long swim this afternoon on some marginal sleep. :)

2 comments:

Andrea said...

Great work Dave! Keep it up!

TRI TO BE FUNNY said...

Have a great race on Sunday (both of you!!)