Thursday, April 03, 2008

My Parents Would Be So Proud

If they weren't halfway across the world right now! They're on a cruise down around the southern end of South America. Really sounds like a cool trip, but 50s and rain isn't so bad, right? Right?

This week, Meredith and I went to the grocery store. The grocery is not an every week occurrence for us, since we procrastinate on it all the time. But that leads to us eating out all the time, which makes for sad wallets, and sad waists. We loaded up on fresh things this trip (what?!), and things that are actually good fuel for our training. Apples, bananas, yogurt, grapes...things that haven't graced our fridge for quite some time. We really want to make a concerted effort this month to eat well, and save the restaurant cash for better things, like triathlon registration. :)

And yesterday, I changed the brake pads on Meredith's Element. If there's one thing I learned growing up, it was how to change brake pads on a Honda. Apparently, it's not quickly forgotten, because I knocked out the whole thing in an hour, even though my socket wrench decided to play hide and seek with me. (It won.)

So, Mom and Dad, this week, I ate healthy, and I changed my own brake pads. Thanks!

Today is interval day, both in the pool and on the track. Got the swim out of the way this morning. I'm pretty sure my 20x75 "sprints" in the pool, translated to land, would be indistinguishable from a normal walk...perhaps a light jog if I was lucky. This afternoon will be a 75 minute interval run, probably in the rain. Fun!

5 comments:

Meredith said...

But have we actually eaten any of those goodies we bought? Well, I've had two bananas. But I've also had the pudding snacks we bought. Hey! They were 100 calorie packs and they taste really good!

Dave said...

I've had two apples, a banana, and a couple things of yogurt, so there.

*sticks out tongue*

Jeff said...

Nice! I can say from experience that knowing how to change brake pads on a Honda, and being able to do so can be quite different at times. For example last fall when I changed brake pads on the '92 Accord and the calipers were so shot they didn't even move any more! It looks like that car is finally going to be scrapped once any significant threat of snow has passed.

Dave said...

The calipers, thankfully, are still in great shape on the Element. That was...different. :)

The only strange part was that three of the four pads were absolutely fine, and the fourth was completely gone.

Anonymous said...

I, for one, am impressed. My dad used to do most of the maintenance on our cars, but, unfortunately, I only gleaned a few bits of information from that (i.e. chaning a battery, checking the oil, how to pop the clutch on my chevette (yeah, baby)! oh wait, maybe my brother taught me that one. But my dad did make me learn how to drive a car with a standard transmission. Being a girl and all, I think that's pretty good :-)
Michelle