Thursday, April 17, 2008

Back to Basics

After this weekend's success and a 2-hour ride on the trainer Sunday, my legs have been pretty beat up. I showed up to the gym yesterday for a recovery swim, expecting a nice relaxing day, and instead getting an hour of flailing around feeling like I can't swim. It was the first swim workout in the schedule that didn't include a warmup, which is where I usually get in some drills.

Obviously, consistency is still an issue. While I know that there are good days and bad days, I don't want to risk a day that bad on race day.

So, for today's swim, 4x300 became 300 of drills, and then 3x300. I don't know if it was the drills, better concentration, or just an extra day of rest, but it was much better. I was even the fastest person in the pool for once, and I don't just mean the water aerobics crowd! (Other than one guy. But then I saw he had flippers, so he was immediately disqualified from our imaginary race in which he didn't know we were competing.)

This Saturday is supposed to be my first time trial in the pool - 1000m. However, I think we're going to be in Boston for some race, or something? So tomorrow looks like time trial day. The triathlon we're doing in early May makes you enter a time estimate for your 400m swim, and I put down 10 minutes as a rough guess. That would translate into a 25 minute time trial (would be 0:48ish half iron, 1:37ish iron), so let's mark that down as the goal for now.

No comments: