Saturday, June 20, 2009

CDA Days 3 and 4

Thursday was originally to be an off day, but because of the storms the day we arrived, I did the swim I missed. This time, I swam about half a lap of the actual swim course. The water was choppy! I'm not used to waves that big, but I made it, and only breathed in ONE mouthful of water. :)

For lunch, we hit a local coffee shop for some yummy sandwiches and hot chocolate with Carrie and Shawn. It was a blast to finally meet them in person! They are part of the huge Texan contingent here for the race.

And after getting a start on packing my race bags, I met Ray, another Buckeye here in CDA for the welcome banquet. I thought it was pretty fun...they talked to the youngest and oldest racers, brought up three people who had lost 130+ pounds training for the race, and then had the good old rules meeting.

On Friday morning we went down to the swim course again, and this time ran into Marit and her parents. The two of us got in a 10 minute swim, and found the water to be much calmer than before. If it stays that way, it will be just fine for the race.

I got in a quick bike and run, then got a bite to eat and turned in my bike and gear bags. The expo area is just packed now with athletes and families!

Now it's a bit of a waiting game. We're relaxing back at the apartment and I'm drinking gatorade and staying off my feet. I'm very excited to see my parents, who will be coming in this afternoon.

If you are interested in following along with the race, there will be live times posted on ironman.com. My race number is 608. Also, Meredith will be live blogging the race on her blog at http://meredithrunningworld.blogspot.com.

So, that should do it until after the race! I feel ready, and now I am just eager to get out there and see what I can do. Thanks so much for following along in my journey to get here, and for all the support along the way!

1 comment:

richvans said...

Good luck Dave. Found your blog through Formulaic. I'll be out there with you - based on your swim and run times looks like you'll be passing me on the run. (My wife would kill me for talking to a Buckeye - she went to that school a little north) I won't sully your blog with it's name. Rich #1068