Thursday, June 18, 2009

CDA Day 1

We got up Wednesday morning to the alarm clock going off at 3 AM. It was an unwelcome necessity, because our flight left Columbus at 6. Most everything was already packed (or at least we hoped it was), so all we had to do was drag our half-asleep selves to the plane.

We connected first through Chicago, which looked like a cold, cloudy mess, and then out to Seattle. Thanks to the airlines cutting out food, we were both starving by the time we got to the rainy (or lately not so rainy) city. It was a long connection, so we decided to forego the fast food options and hit the "Alaska Lodge" for a sit down meal. The menu had about three things, so we both settled on a cheeseburger.

At this point, I would like to say: NEVER GO TO THE ALASKA LODGE. They (both, so it wasn't a fluke) tasted like someone soaked a sponge in beef juices and served it on a bun. Quite possibly the worst burger I have ever tasted. Despite the $7 price on each, neither Meredith nor I came anywhere close to finishing. We even had to go get candy to cleanse our palates of the nastiness. The good news is that Reese's cups and peanut butter M&M's never let you down.

After that fiasco, we hopped a short and bumpy flight to Spokane, got our rental car, and made the quick drive over to Coeur D'Alene. Quick PSA:

COEUR D'ALENE IS ON PACIFIC TIME, NOT MOUNTAIN!

I got bad info, and we told everyone at home incorrect info. The apartment we are renting here is cute, and only a block from a public beach and the run course, as well as three blocks from the bike course. The city itself is beautiful!

Unfortunately, it started storming shortly after we arrived, so I had to scrap my planned swim. I did get out for a short run, and checked out a bit of the course. It's so fun to finally see the things I've been envisioning for nine months!

3 comments:

Formulaic said...

Sounds like you guys got a good start going.

Nice place!


Are you guys going to the dinner on Friday?

Dave said...

I think so? :) I'm still trying to figure out all these thing I have to do in the next few days. Are you going?

Dave said...

Ray, if you see this - I don't have your contact info! I think we're going to drive the course this morning around 10 or so.

If anyone else out there is in town and wants to come along too, let me know. :)