Thursday, July 31, 2008

Don't Taze Me, Bro!

Last night, Meredith and I went down to one of our favorite cheap dinners: $4 burger night at a local Irish pub. Now that we're on a tighter budget with her quitting her job, we've got to look for those inexpensive ways to get out once in a while. There were a couple people ahead of us on the waiting list, so the hostess handed us one of those little things that buzz when your table is ready. We found a local paper on a bar shelf, and were reading it while we waited.

Fifteen minutes turned out to be more like two. Our pager never buzzed, but a woman came to show us to the table. She never asked for it, and I didn't see another hostess, so I just carried it with me to the table. After she laid down our menus, she turned around and said she'd be back for our drink orders in a second. I replied with, "Great, and I'll just give you this.", and held out the pager for her.

She jumped back.

I held it out again.

With a tinge of panic in her voice, she held up her hands and said "What is that thing?!"

Okay, now I was really getting confused! I held it out a third time and said, "Umm...it's our pager for the table."

Finally, she realized what was going on. It turned out that it was her first day working there, and in her defense, we were just talking last week about how much their pagers look like stun guns.

Pager:


Stun Gun:


She was (quite deservedly) teased mercilessly by both the staff and other patrons the entire time we were there. Afterward, she said she was ready to hand over all her tips when she saw it.

Hmm...

Maybe we have a way to make a little money on the side after all!

4 comments:

:) said...

Ha! Pretty funny...

TRI TO BE FUNNY said...

Wow...the future of America is in her hands. Scary!

Val said...

Hehehe. Scott & I got a good giggle out of this one! =)

Did you like your present?

Dave said...

Heck yeah I did! Sorry, I hadn't gotten my thank you email sent out yet. Thanks so much for thinking of me when you saw it. :)