Sunday, October 03, 2010

Help me out!

One of my long standing weaknesses has been my run form. I've developed my run to the point where I can do some long distances, but from the start, I've just run however my little legs carried me. And along the way, I've picked up some bad habits. So I'm calling on you, blog-land! I'll post a video of my "normal" run form, and then my concept of "good" run form. Please give me some feedback on both, and any tips to improve what I've got and make it a fast 2011!

(If the videos don't load inline, try the links)

"Normal":


"Better?":

2 comments:

Megan L. Killian said...

Its hard to tell from the side, but it really doesn't look like you had too much heel strike on your "original" running form. I would argue that you are TOO forefoot on the modified one, and you might end up developing hamstring/foot issues. I don't think you really want to run on your toes...

One thing you might want to try is keep your ankles relaxed. Also, maybe don't focus as much on what part of your feet are hitting the ground, but rather focus more on where your hips are with respect to your feet- In the modified stride, your hips were more forward, butt was less "out", than the original form.

Dave said...

Thanks, Megan! Meredith says I run really heavy, which is one reason I figured I'm hitting my heel too much.

When you say to focus on my hips, where *should* they be?